I was lucky enough to enter quite a few hackathons last year – including API Hack Days in Austin and Dallas, the Via.Me Back to the Future Hackathon and the TwilioCon Hackathon (both in San Francisco), and a DrupalCon Twilio Hackathon in Denver. For the most part I enjoy them, though it is hard to bring a project out of a hackathon into an actual shipping product.

This year, I haven’t had a chance to do any, so I jumped on the opportunity to enter the AngelHack hackathon held at Mass Relevance in downtown Austin.

I actually had a somewhat well planned out idea going into the hackathon about what I wanted to accomplish – a project that would solve problems for two clients I have right now where I as a developer would pay for this solution. It wouldn’t particularly involve integration with any of the sponsors of the hackathon, but for this hackathon, that wasn’t really the focus.

Instead, I ran into Saranyan from Bigcommerce, one of the sponsors of AngelHack Austin. We’d met at Circus Mashimus during SXSW this year when I’d shown up to demo another hackathon project (RV Trip Companion). He mentioned that he’d been talking to Keith Casey from Twilio about how to tie voice into Bigcommerce, so store owners can provide click-to-call to their customers. This sounded like the kind of project I could make a pretty deep dent into in 24 hours, so I switched gears.

Starting with Rails Composer, I built a Software-as-a-Service project in Rails that used Stripe for billing. I then set up the site on Heroku, as that can get a little tricky with Rails Composer web apps. Next was integrating Twilio using some hand-written TwiML as ERB files – I’ll probably replace those with their TwiML builder, but they worked for now. After that, it was time to integrate the Bigcommerce gem, and start to do some customer and order lookup – their API is pretty RESTful, and they have a developer console, so it wasn’t too hard. All of the attributes I wanted to query by were exposed. A little more TwiML, and I had a toll-free hotline ready to go for my e-commerce stores.

Next to build was a click-to-call widget, powered by Twilio’s web client. I knew I’d have to serve a Twilio capability token out of my server up to a third party web site (the e-commerce store), so I built some code that provided the widget functionality as an external JavaScript file served off of my platform to be embedded into the Bigcommerce store.

Integrating with the front-end of Bigcommerce was a little tougher – they use a custom templating/theming engine that you modify chunks of and then upload to your e-commerce store over DAV (think FTP). Digging into it, it wasn’t obvious at first where to put the JavaScript, but I dug through things, and hacked in some JavaScript, some CSS, and my new call and hangup buttons. I got things to look pretty in the default theme using my CSS skills (margin-top:-7px, for instance).

At the same time, I also put together a VoiceBunny project for a full custom voice-over for all of the spoken content for my site. This made everything voice-related feel much more professional, and because VoiceBunny was one of the sponsors, they had a discount code for AngelHack. The voices came in with about 3 hours to go, and I was able to integrate them into Twilio.

I ran into a couple of problems, including wasting time trying to get Heroku to use Ruby 1.9.3 instead of 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 (I just commented out SecureRandom and moved on instead), killing my Stripe integration by accidentally putting another copy of jQuery into my Rails asset pipeline, and using rbenv with Rails Composer instead of rvm (luckily I’d already mostly battled this one out on another project). Another, bigger problem, was that I hosted my MP3 files for the voice over on a basic shared hosting provider, and Twilio’s caching algorithms would work much better if they were served out of something that properly handles HTTP caching (such as the Rails asset pipeline). These collectively ate up time that I could have spent polishing the site or adding new functionality, but that always happens in hackathons.

I ended up winning the Bigcommerce prize, and the VoiceBunny prize for best use of their respective technologies at AngelHack ATX. I’ve definitely got some hard-coding to take out, and some rough edges to polish off before the app is ready to go out to customers, but it’s a pretty good start for a 24 hour project.

Thanks to Mass Relevance for hosting the event, Damon, Wade, and the other organizers, the judges for spending their Sunday afternoon in a conference room, and to all the sponsors (TokBox, Amazon Kindle Fire, Bigcommerce, VoiceBunny, Elance) for making it happen!

One comment on “Talxer: Talk to your e-commerce customers – AngelHack Austin 2013

  • Dude, thanks for spending time with our API. It was a lot of fun to see you hack up something awesome in under 24H. ;) See you around.

    -Saranyan

Comments are closed.